Wednesday, June 25, 2008

tokyo white night

This past Friday night I went out to Kichijoji to a bar that was all done up like the milk bar from A Clockwork Orange. It was like Corova in NYC, but smaller and not as dark, and it had a funny bathroom with a mini-toilet and a huge sink.
I had a few fantastic ginger infused vodka cocktails and a tofu dish. I hung out with the Milk Bar posse, and got sucked into the DVD of A Clockwork Orange that was playing on the tv. I was tired though. It was a long day, after a long week. I was ready for bed.

I went to the station to get on the train, and Mia decided to stick around a little longer. There was some kind of accident, so none of the trains were going anywhere fast. No one knew what to do and basically I missed the last train going back to Chiba. I felt this happening as soon as I got to train station. Something told me this was going to happen, but I told the silly anxiety voice inside me to just shut up.

In many other cities I'd just hail a cab, but here it would have probably cost me about 200 bucks, since I was so far away from my apartment. So I decided to stick it out and chill in Tokyo till the next train. There are million things to see in Tokyo!

It was kind of a shitty situation. I was by myself, in an area I'd never been to, my cell phone just died, and my pen ran out of ink. Oh, and then it started raining, a lot. It was straight out of a movie. In past I feel like I would have probably cried, or been really pissed off, but I didn't cry and I wasn't angry. I just hung out and took the first train home 4 hours later. I accepted the situation and decided to make an adventure of it.

I went to about 8 different 24 hour establishments and watched people. I went to convenience stores and read magazines. I bought a new toothbrush. I went to a 24 hour drug store and checked out all the ridiculous beauty products and supplements to make your breasts bigger, your face smaller, your calves more shapely, your underarms less hairy, your hair more bouncy.... I took pictures of amusing products.
I wasn't the only one this had happened to, it was a Friday night with tons of people out and about, and I didn't feel like I was in any danger. I thought about just going to a bar and getting wasted, but then figured a lady all on her own in a big city, far away from home, and stranded for a few hours, well... maybe that wasn't be the best option. It was kinda fun, though not what I had planned on doing this particular Friday/Saturday. I spent Saturday recovering from my first white night in Tokyo. I slept all day and the only productive thing I did was pick up my dry cleaning and replied to a few emails.

Things are good. Who knows what excitement is in store for me this weekend!

1 comment:

zlm said...

what i would give to be stranded in the streets of Tokyo without a cell phone so no one could bother me. you are a very lucky chick.