Sunday, June 8, 2008

"I came to kill"

I'm not sure which source is most accurate but a man attacked and killed 5 (6 or 7) and wounded 11 (or 14) people with a knife in Akihabara, in the middle of the day. People are always telling me how safe Japan is. I wasn't there, luckily, to see this, and I'm sure that there are few things that a good sense of street-smarts will do to save you from a knife-wielding lunatic on a mission, but I wonder how someone gets away with such an act. And why? What pushes someone to that point? Was there nothing anyone could have done to prevent this?

Tokyo is intense and exciting like New York, but also carries a more extreme version of pressure. The word that I've been thinking Tokyo leads with is TIGHT. I can see how life can wear on a person. There have been two suicides, people jumping in front of trains, in the past month--that I personally know of because my commute was disturbed as a result. Still, what pushes people over the edge? That I just don't understand, I guess I don't want to completely either. The only thing I guess I'm left saying is that I'm so glad they don't have a lot of guns. Then this place might feel a lot more like home, where in the city of brotherly love (Philadelphia) there were 406 homicides in 2006. One of the victims being Orlando Rivera, who I loved so very very deeply. I will never let go of my fury that he wasn't able to live to write a book about his life; he had such beautiful words and a bunch of tragic tales. Stories that should have been told from the other end, where things had gotten better. I just don't understand.

This stabbing incident was some really shitty news. There's only so much hurt and confusion a sensitive cancerian like myself can swallow. I want to create beautiful things, share happy joyful moments, document only the best of my world as I experience it. This is where I create a little bit of peace and happiness. My blog is the place I save to put the good funny quirky bits... so you know what?! What I think Tokyo needs is a holiday, or big dose of Madonna, or better yet BOTH! So, without further ado,this one goes out to Japan, to Orlando, even to the guy who lost his mind in Akihabara, especially to the families and friends that lost someone today, to the unfortunate people who just thought they were out to go shopping, to the people who need to dance more often and stress a little less, and to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that a bonafide fab feminist such as yourself enjoys the Madonnabeast. RIP ORLANDO!