Monday, June 16, 2008

mobo moga

Mia and I went to a sweet little place for lunch in Shinjuku called Mobo Moga. The name stands for Modern Boy, Modern Girl. I'd tell you where it's located if I could, but it's not like there are cross streets**. It was dimly lit like a good dive bar. It's funky, good funky, and it's dripping with an awesome DIY aesthetic. The menus were collaged with pinup girls and images of their special tex-mex fusion dishes. There was bad English splattered all over the place. One item on their menu is Cheese Humburg Piraf. We ordered the Mexican Tacorice: lettuce, salsa, chick peas, a sunny side up egg, rice, and mayo on the side that I didn't touch. It hit the spot.
We were forced into ordering something from their wild drink menu. I saw a picture of a beverage that resembled Slimer in a glass. I looked at Mia, she looked at me. I said, "That looks disgusting." Then Mia ordered one. I'm glad she did, it had to be done. It was a YOLO (you only live once) moment. It turned out to be a melon cream soda with vanilla ice cream. Super sweet. I love that it came in a pyrex glass. Very fabulous.

**Here's a site in Japanese with a map and directions. Google translate tells me that the directions are as follows: Shibuya Tokyu Hands exit (1 slope-side floor of the organ) across the alley in right away, "Space Department Store," the second floor. I don't know if that helps.

No comments: