Saturday, June 7, 2008

local flavor

Somehow every time I hangout with Mia we end up making all these people, we engage in a healthy dose of ridiculousness with our new buddies, and then I end up taking pictures with random locals and eating all kinds of things my sober self probably would never consider to even go near.

For example, last night:

We checked out Zyu, which is something like the "tree standing bar." There aren't any real seats and the interior looks a bit like a sauna. I imagined that maybe I should be there with my head wrapped in a towel. Oh it was so much fun! We were welcomed in by a few regulars. I can tell you that they were not lying when they said they were regulars because when I went to the website, there they were. Theres a great vibe in the place, the owner/bartender Naoki serves up some fantastic little dishes, and the prices are perfect. 300 円 for a beer, or a nice cool glass of makoli. Nice simple bar snacks that range in price from 100 to 400 円. If you pay for a set of 100 円 tickets

We're standing, chatting up our new friends, and the next thing I know, they're buying we makoli and making me try their tasty and strange little side dishes. First I tried gyoniku sausage. One woman described it as "naked fish" and I would call it a fish hot dog. Eh. Not my favorite. I'd say it was まあまあ, so-so.
Next, I was eating a house special, the Wasabi Joy--small pieces of cream cheese topped with dried fish flakes, and a wasabi soy sauce to dip it in. This was surprisingly おいしい, delicious! I found that Zyu's macoli, a rice wine from Korea, tasted better than the macoli I had in Korea. It tastes a bit like a smooth yogurt drink. I never want to drink beer again.

Then it was time for pictures.

After Zyu, we went to an izakaya. When you sit down often you get a hot towel to clean your hands, or to "refresh yourself" as Martin did.

They also bring out some side dishes as a free service. This place had a hijiki salad and some fish with a bit of mayo to dip it in. Yeah, I ate the whole fish, even the head.

We ordered some gyoza, a salad, some beer, then proceeded to the karoke spot to finish the night off. Now I can't talk. Good times.

No comments: