Monday, June 23, 2008

fried thingies

Everyone keeps asking me how the sushi is. Like I drink raw fish smoothies for breakfast, then packing away huge platters of fatty salmon for lunch, and topping it off with sushi ice cream on a stick as a midday snack. I am quite excited by the sushi, I like sushi. It's great, but I find myself documenting a lot more of the stuff I've never had before, never seen before, and have no idea what it tastes like.

I'm addicted to these fried potato things, korokke (コロッケ). There are all kinds with random different things mixed inside-from ground beef to veggies. There are creamed corn ones, or shrimp ones. They also have katsu, fried other thingies, so I decided to sample one (or two) a day to see what they're all about.
Things were going well with my experiment. I never met a fried thingie I didn't like until I came across mini menchi katsu. It was like some kind of breaded and fried scrapple-esque meat. It was all downhill from there. Friday's fried thingie adventure turned out to be the most insane one I've tried yet: egg salad with mayo on a piece of ham that's breaded and fried. From the picture on the label, I thought it had corn inside. Nope, no corn at all.

The experiment with the fried thingies is officially called off. However, my different tea a day journey continues. Stay tuned for Miss Koco takes on Tokyo, one vending machine at a time.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Nicole, Fried thingy things are showing up in my world too. Just today I read the entry on your website, then I turn on the food network and crazy Paula Deen is taking a slice of cheese cake, placing it on a sheet of pastry dough (filo perhaps, slathering it with butter first by the way), then sprinkling it with chocolate chips. Then she wraps it up, seals it with egg wash, and deep fries it. After it reaches a golden brown she drains it on paper towels and shakes powdered sugar on it, drizzles chocolate sauce and dolips whipped cream. Can you top that? MOM

Anonymous said...

Fried thingy things are showing up in my world too. Just today I read the entry on your website, then I turn on the food network and crazy Paula Deen is taking a slice of cheese cake, placing it on a sheet of pastry dough (filo perhaps, slathering it with butter first by the way), then sprinkling it with chocolate chips. Then she wraps it up, seals it with egg wash, and deep fries it. After it reaches a golden brown she drains it on paper towels and shakes powdered sugar on it, drizzles chocolate sauce and dolips whipped cream. Can you top that? MOM

misskoco said...

I don't think I can trump that one. I haven't seen anything of the sort in Japan yet, but if I do I'd be up for eating it. Deep fried cheesecake may be the ultimate fried thingie.