Sunday, June 22, 2008

nuke the cake

I just had to get one. I couldn't resist.

This afternoon I found myself committing what my mother probably would define as the ultimate sin. First, I stood right in front of the microwave for a whole minute. I'm sure I'm going to grow an extra appendage in my sleep tonight. Second, I made a cake in the microwave--in a mug.

An oven isn't a standard item in a Japanese kitchen. I'm guessing that's why food companies have developed products that are easily cooked in a microwave. For this mocha treat all you need is an egg, a microwave, a mug, and a couple minutes. The instructions said two minutes for a 500W microwave, 1 minute for 600W microwaves, but mine is a 730W so I figured around 40 seconds should do it.


Okay. It came out looking so unappealing, and it didn't exactly smell good either, but I tried it. It wasn't good, but it was fun to watch. I'm reminded of the time I put an egg in the microwave to "see what happens." I knew what was going to happen; it did in fact explode and it made a nasty stinky mess. I don't recommend putting an egg in the microwave--nor do I recommend the microwaveable cake. However, both were quite entertaining. I still crack up when I think about the egg incident.


The box came with two. I'm not going to use the other one. If you'd like to experience the joy of a microwaveable mocha mug cake, let me know. I'll snailmail it to you.

2 comments:

FirstPersonArts said...

That looked pretty good to me. I'm going to H-Mart to find my own.

Kristen said...

That looks pretty gross. Though it reminds me of the time I put one of those cream puff baby birds in the microwave. What a mess, though extremely entertaining=^^=