Tuesday, April 8, 2008

love letter

I went searching for a piece I left behind.

When I was in high school I took a jewelry class. As one of the projects we made talismans out of aluminum foil, plaster and paint. I have a memory of rolling up little pieces of paper with messages on them. I wrote something, but I can't remember what. My memory was that I rolled up the paper and tucked it into the aluminum.


I decided to destroy the pieces and find out what I wrote to myself. I went to Indianapolis and shared this destruction with Ian. We found a random parking lot and we busted them open with my super cute hammer. Much to our disappointment, we didn't find anything. I searched frantically through the mess I had created. Did I put them into the plaster? Did I decide not to put anything inside at the last minute?


I found nothing.

Today, however, I found a letter. It's one of those I wrote to myself to find at a later date. It was written about 3 years ago. The best parts of what I told myself:
Dream bigger. Do more. Let go of things that hurt you and don't make you happy. Love more. Try to express more compassion.

Art will always love you, and so do I.



I found exactly what I needed to hear.

1 comment:

Katharine Loxley said...

I LOVE this letter. I wish it was written to me.