Saturday, April 26, 2008

dirty hoes, lochnagar, & the summer spritzer

The weather is warm and everyone is out and about. This means there a lot more brunch to be had and evening drinks that take me into the night. In the winter I like a nice whisky, red wines, the occasional beer. For summer drinks I usually like a mojito, white wine, something along those lines, but I've recently discovered a few drinks that may just switch up my game completely.
dirty hoe
1. The Dirty Hoe
This is a combination of Hoegaarden and Framboise, the raspberry beer from Lindemans. It's light, it's fruity. It's sorta like a beer cocktail, I guess. I love it! I've been ordering them wherever I can, and I love asking for it. "I was wondering if you could make me a dirty hoe." This one pictured above, from Ten Stone, was very pink and heavy on the framboise. I'm a raspberry junkie, but I preferred the one I got at The Plogh; it was more hoeish than dirty.
Ms. K and two dirty hoes
2. Blueberry Stoli and Soda
Refreshing, clear, fruity. Like a bubbly berry lift. With a lime, just divine! Titty P., whose catch phrase has always been, "Shit, shower, couple of cocktails," introduced this to me last night at Telephone. He knows his way around a bar and I'm so glad he turned me on to this one.

3. The Royal Lochnagar
The Lady Kiers10 just got back from a week holiday in the U.K. She's been raving about her visit to the Royal Lochnagar Distillery in Scotland. On the ride back to Brooklyn we broke open a little sample and finished it off while catching up on the Real Housewives of New York (total trash--love it).  The Royal Lochnager is quite nice.  It has caused me to consider drinking more whisky in the summer time.

1 comment:

REY said...

I've been drinking blueberry stoli and soda since forever, its the connsumate summer cocktail. May I also recommend a blueberry/strawberry combo, if the bar has strawberry stoli. Also, if you are makng them for yourself, throw some actual berries in there. Too delicious. Finally, if you feel like switching it up, vanilla stoli and soda's alright too, although more of a winter feel if you ask me.