Tuesday, December 18, 2007

to Janus

Janus (mythology)
Janus (or Ianus) was the god of gates, doors, doorways, beginnings, and endings.

Janus was frequently used to symbolize change and transitions such as the progression of past to future, of one condition to another, of one vision to another, the growing up of young people, and of one universe to another. He was also known as the figure representing time because he could see into the past with one face and into the future with the other. Hence, Janus was worshipped at the beginnings of the harvest and planting times, as well as marriages, births and other beginnings. He was representative of the middle ground between barbarity and civilization, rural country and urban cities, and youth and adulthood.
-from wikipedia

On numerous occasions I've written about the excitement, the hesitation, the joygasm that goes along with putting a pen to the first page of a new journal. I get hot thinking about all the potential. There is that feeling that this journal may just be the one to hold the most profound words, the most hilarious experiences, most important thoughts of my life... or something like that. Thus, this is an attempt to start again, to move on into the next season of my life, but still to continue the work I've found that I really enjoy--to document as many of the funny and beautiful bits. All the delicious, ridiculous, irritating, and most definitely the most fabulous things in my world need a place to go.

While I thought it would be nice to honor Janus and start this new project with a new year, I decided to let place rather than time define this new beginning. And there seems, to me, to be no better place to start than BANGKOK!

No comments: