Saturday, December 22, 2007

The squat, the sprayer, and other discoveries in the lou


I imagine I'm not the first farang (Thai for foreigner) to walk into a bathroom and say, "You've gotta be kidding me." This bathroom wasn't stinky, I guess that made it worth the 5 baht admission fee, but it was still a squatty. Moreover, it was an elevated squat, with the drain near the wall. This made me wonder which direction to face. Here's the conversation I had with myself:

Me: If I were a bathroom designer, wouldn't it be quite strange for to me to set up the toilet in a way that the user orients themselves towards the wall?

Myself: Yes.

Me: This is completely contradictory to a Korean squat.

Myself: Yes. You're in Thailand.

Me: Good point. No one's watching, so who cares if I squat the wrong way?

As for flushing. See that yellow pail floating in that sink basin? Yup, that's the flush. Fill up the bowl and pour.

Another surprise in the bathroom for me was the spray hose. We used to have one of these in my kitchen before they started making so many of the faucets standard with a detachable spray head function. It was useful for cleaning up the sink or rising off veggies. Never would I have associated it with rinsing off my nether regions. But I dig the idea. If there's a drain in the bathroom then it has a double function, making bathroom cleaning easier.

No comments: