Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Adventures in Food, pt. 1

For my first meal in Thailand I decided to check out the restaurant next to my hotel, the Reflections restaurant. I ordered "minced shrimp in coconut sauce served with fresh vegetable" (100 baht) and a hot tea (40 baht). I was very excited to be in Bangkok, super thrilled with my room, and I was very enthusiastic about my first gastronomic adventure. I love Thai food! My expectations were high, a bit too high.

Thus, I was disappointed with this first dinner in Bangkok. As I waited for my food to arrive I was slowly getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. The tea turned out to be Twinings, and when they said "fresh vegetables" they actually meant raw.
The only familiar vegetables on the plate were the string beans and the cucumbers. The ginger colored vegetable on the upper right par of the plate I enjoyed. The mini-watermelon things on the left were the most surprising. No knife was provided so I just took a big bite out of it. The outside had a spicy crunch thing going on which was followed by three or four waves of aftertastes. All of which I was not into. I had a sudden urge to claw at my tongue to scrape off the taste. It turned me off dinner and I wasn't epicourageous enough to try the last crazy looking melon vegetable in the front right. I made an attempt to finish up the shrimp goo and the rice.

To make up for the veggie experience and a last attempt to get the freaky watermelon-looking pepper taste out of my mouth I ordered a plum drink. The presentation was nice, with an orchid sticking out, but once again I expected something different--thicker and sweeter perhaps.

As for the restaurant, I really dug the decor. The table cloth under the glass on the table was actually an old jasmine rice bag and the place mats were made of woven plastic strips often used to secure boxes. The walls were painted by some of the same artists who designed the rooms.

I was a bit disturbed by this chair covered in stuffed animals. It reminded me of a scary scene from Akira and I expected milk to start seeping from it any second.

No comments: