Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dada, as in art

I grew up in the Philly art world; as a toddler I was a First Friday scenester. My childhood memories are filled with times spent with artists and art, in museums and in the studio, making art and talking about about making art. No one will ever let me forget how I told Charles Searles that he looked like E.T. and I'll never let James O'Neal forget that he promised me a pony--and later offered me a goat from his family in Ghana which I wasn't so pleased with as a supplement for a pony. People like Richard Watson, Barbara Bullock, Howardina Pindell; these creators were regal before the crowds at their openings, were (and still are) my heroes, my uncles and aunties.

This is all because of my dad.

Dada, as in art.
This is how my father refers to himself. He's amazing, and crazy, brilliant, so much fun and so lovable. He taught me how to put together a fabulous outfit, how to swing a golf club, and told me since birth that I can do anything I want to.

If you're in Philadelphia, go check out his new show with Pheoris West, Collaborations, at 703 South 6th Street (215.413.3884). Here's more from artblog on the opening, the residency program, and his wok. It closes with a party, very Dada style, at midnight on New Year's Eve.

No comments: