Tuesday, December 16, 2008

plural

I was posting my new lavender sachets in my etsy shop when I discovered a new word. VAGINAE. I went to write the plural version of vagina (vaginas) and a red line popped up under it alerting me that I'm a hot mess.

Let me back up a moment to say that I have an automatic spell check function on for two reasons. First, because I can't spell for my life. And secondly, because I never learned to type properly so I look at the keyboard. This is sad, mostly because I'm an English teacher, but also because I write, a lot. The one redeeming thing here is that I do look up a lot of words and look into ways to prevent myself from immense embarrassment (hence the automatic spell check function).

As it turns out, vaginas and vaginae are both accepted plural versions of the word vagina. I also recently discovered that octopuses, octopi, and octopodes are all good too! I guess I should give myself a little more credit and have less faith in the dotted red line.

1 comment:

REY said...

many spell checkers are mad janky. They don't always have a proper breadth of knowledge, so to speak. If you think you're right about less common word, you very well might be. Dictionary.com is good, because it offers federated searching across several dictionaries including specific medical, legal, and other more technical sources. (See, I learned something in library school!!!)