Thursday, January 24, 2008

the purge continues

I have way too much stuff.

I've started to sort through my bookshelf and I've decided to release the books my uncle doesn't want into the wild using bookcrossing.com. I went through my closet and found items I'll absolutely never wear, so I'm going to take those to Buffalo Exchange. The things they probably won't take I'm going to drop off at Philadelphia AIDS Thrift. Some articles of clothing I can't even give away, for example a pair blue flannel pants with torn hems. I have about 20 pairs of comfy pants to sleep in, so I'm going to cut the salvageable material into long one-inch strips and crochet a bag. My old glasses and costume jewelry I'm sending to New Eyes for the Needy.

My old room in my parent's house seems to have turned into a place where old electronics go to die, so I'm working on figuring out the best options for giving these away or places to take them to be properly recycled. I've discovered through rbrc.org that Radio Shack will take the nickel cadmium (Ni-Cd) battery from the dead cordless phone. But I don't know what to do with the dead cordless phone.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my excess cell phones. Right now I have three fully functioning phones. Oy vey.

The amount of paper accumulated from mail, mostly junk, sent to me just in the past couple of months is INSANE. I used to take all the material sent, including the original envelope, and stuff it all in the pre-paid mailing envelope. I'd write on the front, "Don't send me junk!" or something like that and then drop it in the post. I know, I know, probably not very effective, but it made me feel a little better. Luckily, Philadelphia will accept all of that in their curbside recycling program. The information architecture on their site is a disaster, it's like impossible to find the most basic things like what can I recycle, or what week am I? Blue? or Green?

No comments: