Saturday, July 18, 2009

hello harlem, nice to meet you

I often say that New York city was my first true love, but after seven years we kinda grew apart. My first night back in NYC, Harlem is a totally new and different version of the city I thought I knew so well.

Me and NYC... we are both a bit older, we've seen some things in the years apart, and we definitely have grown. I'd like to think this time is going to be different, but I know better. At my core, I am still the same and eventually those same old irritations will remind me of why I left in the first place. I go into this knowing this is temporary, but I'm going to love every second of enjoying the good bits: like yoga with Eleni, and the farmer's market, hanging out on rooftops, picnics in the park, brunch in the East Village, late nights with some of my favorite people, mini-adventures to discover my new neighborhood, and just adoring this apartment.

I'm staying in an apartment filled with reminders of my artsy family, of the aunties and uncles that showed me a world of creativity and endless possibilities. This feels so nice. I am exactly where I should be.

No comments: